Produced by Tom Griggs and Paolo Pascual. Edited by Paolo Pascual. Footage from Reuters.
BRIAN HARRIS: James Mattis, the US Defence Secretary, has issued a stern warning to North Korea, saying Washington would respond to the use of nuclear weapons with effective and overwhelming force. The statement came as Mr. Mattis visited Seoul on his first overseas trip as pentagon chief. The visit was aimed at reassuring US allies about its commitment to the region, amid the America first rhetoric of President Donald Trump. In Seoul, Mr. Mattis said any use of nuclear weapons by North Korea will be met with a severe response.
JAMES MATTIS: Any attack on the United States or on our allies will be defeated, and any use of nuclear weapon would be met with the response that would be effective and overwhelming. North Korea continues to launch missiles, develop it's nuclear weapons programme, and engage in threatening rhetoric and behaviour.
BRIAN HARRIS: Han Min-goo, the South Korean defence minister said the decision by Mr. Mattis to visit South Korea clearly showed the US's commitment to the defence of the country.
HAN MIN-GOO: [NON-ENGLISH SPEECH]
BRIAN HARRIS: South Korea is currently on edge as it waits to see how Mr. Trump will deal with North Korea, which last year it tested two nuclear devices. There is deep anxiety that Mr. Trump could launch a preemptive strike on [INAUDIBLE], a move which would likely endanger the 24 million people living in greater Seoul. Analysts expect North Korea to test launch a long range ballistic missile in the near future. In a statement released a state run [? KCNA ?] on Friday, a North Korean official said the country had no option but to have access to nuclear deterrence to defend its sovereignty. Brian Harris, Financial Times, Seoul.