Bridgestone’s commitment to a sustainable future
How a leading global tyre-manufacturer is forging innovative solutions to deliver eight core values for the future of our planet
Global society is undergoing a period of great change, buffeted by dramatic developments in international relations and technology, while impacted by climate change and the global pandemic.
Never has it been more critical for companies to pursue innovation for and with society, prioritising social value alongside business growth.
It is with this sense of urgency and the determination to act that Bridgestone, a company that is continuously devoted to creating positive social impact based on its unchanging mission “Serving Society with Superior Quality”, is reinforcing its commitment to shaping a sustainable future for all.
While Bridgestone may be best known as a global leader in tyres and rubber, it is further evolving for the future to pioneer advanced solutions that enable more efficient and sustainable ways of moving and living. Leveraging its vast expertise as well as its high-performing products, services and global network, Bridgestone wants to solve challenges faced by society and customers - all while helping to keep the world in motion.
One way the company is achieving this is through its solutions for the trucking, mining, and aviation sectors. Bridgestone monitors tyre and vehicle data, provides the right maintenance, and offers other services such as the retreading of tyres, supporting drivers’ safety and helping to prevent accidents. It also optimises operations, in turn lowering costs and maximising economic value. More efficient operations also contribute to reduced CO2 emissions and improved resource productivity.
The above solutions for sustainable mobility is just one example of how the company founded in 1931 is evolving to foster long-term value for the business and for society.
Eight values for a brighter future
Guided by its mission the Bridgestone Group is leveraging a history of excellence to secure a brighter tomorrow.
With sustainability at its core, Bridgestone embarked upon a new chapter in 2020, setting its vision of delivering value to society and customers as a sustainable solutions company. It is now accelerating this transformation with a blueprint — The Bridgestone E8 Commitment.
This global corporate commitment consists of eight values, which Bridgestone is committed to delivering alongside its employees, society, partners and customers. The values all starting with the letter E (Energy, Ecology, Efficiency, Extension, Economy, Emotion, Ease and Empowerment) were carefully defined to embrace Bridgestone’s mission and DNA such as a “focus on quality”, “respect for ‘being on-site’”, which means doing on-site visits to truly understand on-the-ground operations, being “attentive to and supportive of customer problems” and championing a “challenging spirit”. These values also point to how Bridgestone envisions the evolution and future possibilities of the company.
Established on March 1, 2022, in celebration of the 91st anniversary of the company’s founding, the Bridgestone E8 Commitment serves to guide the group’s transformation into a sustainable solutions company, and as an axis to drive management forward while earning the trust of future generations.
Concrete drivers for positive change
Buttressing this lofty vision are technological drivers and actions that turn values into reality. Bridgestone aims to deliver on the eight values outlined in the Bridgestone E8 Commitment through its vast range of products, services, solutions and activities.
Initiatives that will drive Bridgestone’s future as a sustainable solutions company include:
- E for Energy: Bridgestone is committed to tyre innovation for EVs, most notably with its groundbreaking ENLITEN technology that extends driving range through lightweight tyres with low rolling resistance. The company is also supporting the enhancement of EV charging infrastructure utilising its global retail service network.
- E for Ecology: Bridgestone envisions a future in which recycled tyres are the standard. Through its EVERTIRE INITIATIVE, the group is working with global partners to develop technologies that recycle tyres into raw materials. The group’s research into guayule, a desert shrub, has also identified an alternative and more sustainable source of natural rubber – the tyre industry’s most vital raw material. The company has recently been awarded a research grant by the U.S. Department of Energy Joint Genome Institute to further its work in guayule with various partners, including local farmers and NGOs.
- E for Efficiency, E for Economy: Bridgestone is developing digital telematics and leveraging its expertise and retail network to provide tyre and fleet monitoring, maintenance and other services close to its customers. The company is committed to maximising productivity and the economic value of commercial trucking, mining and aircraft-fleet operations.
- E for Extension: For Bridgestone, “Extension” means to ensure nonstop mobility, not just in everyday life, but also by pushing the boundaries of what is possible. A key example is its participation in an international space exploration mission, where it is developing tyres for lunar rovers that can withstand the moon’s harsh environment.
- E for Emotion: Bridgestone inspires joy through motorsports participation, notably as the sole supplier of tyres for the iconic Indy 500 race. It also promotes sustainable motorsports events such as the Bridgestone World Solar Challenge.
- E for Ease: Bridgestone ensures safety and peace of mind with premium tyres and technologies such as seismic isolation bearings that protect lives from earthquakes.
- E for Empowerment: Bridgestone promotes diversity, equity and inclusion in myriad ways, from an inclusive workplace culture to technologies that enhance human capabilities. Bridgestone is helping to develop equipment that allows adaptive athletes to reach their potential, and has supported the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine through donations and support for refugees.
Join us on our journey
Ultimately, Bridgestone will strive to create value for the planet through the collective efforts of the group’s 130,000 team members around the world.
But this goal cannot be accomplished by the group alone. Together with society, partners and valued customers, Bridgestone will unlock imaginative breakthroughs for a sustainable future. By bringing diverse areas of expertise to the table, dynamic synergies will be uncovered to help deliver innovative solutions for the world.
The Bridgestone E8 Commitment is our invitation, uniting all global stakeholders facing these unprecedented challenges. As we drive steadfastly toward a sustainable society — for the sake of the Earth, which future generations of children have entrusted in our care — will you join us on our journey?
To watch Bridgestone’s E8 Commitment Video click here