Listen to this article
Shares around Asia look set for a relatively cautious day ahead of Donald Trump’s address to Congress later on Tuesday.
And although a careful mood prevailed on Wall Street yesterday, it didn’t stop the S&P 500 and Dow Jones Industrial Average both creeping 0.1 per cent higher to record highs.
Australian shares are up 0.2 per cent within the first half-hour of trade, but futures tip a more mixed day for stock markets elsewhere around the region.
In any case, there are handful of key releases on the economic calendar today to keep investors busy (Hong Kong times):
- 07.50: Japan January industrial production
- 07.50: Japan January retail trade
- 08.00: Australia January HIA new home sales
- 08.30: Australia 4Q current account balance
- 08.30: Australia 4Q net exports
- 12.00: Japan January vehicle production
- 13.00: Japan January housing starts
- 13.00: Japan January construction orders
- 15.30: Thailand January imports, exports, trade balance
- 20.00: India 4Q GDP