A strike by London Underground workers that had been set to disrupt services and bring travel chaos over four days has been suspended, according to the union representing the station staff involved.
The RMT said it was suspending the planned action because 60 per cent of the posts that were originally lost during cutbacks under Boris Johnson, London’s previous mayor, have been restored.
Station staff had been planning to strike on Sunday evening and Monday morning and Tuesday evening and early Wednesday. A similar, 24-hour strike on January 8 and 9 forced the closure of most deep-level central London stations and played havoc with all the capital’s transport systems.
Mick Cash, the RMT’s general secretary, said the union’s “fighting stance” had led to the reinstatement of 533 of the 953 jobs that were originally cut when London Underground closed all its ticket offices.
“That is a tremendous victory and a reflection of the resilience and determination of our reps and the membership right across London Underground,” Mr Cash said.
The RMT’s climb-down marks the second big settlement in 24 hours of a dispute affecting commuting in South-East England. On Thursday, Aslef, the train drivers’ union, settled its dispute with Southern, the commuter rail operator, over changes to working practices. Strikes by the drivers had halted services for Southern’s 300,000 daily passengers for six days in December and January.
However, some British Airways cabin crew belonging to Unite are planning six days of strike action in the coming week – from February 5 to 7 and February 9 to 11. BA has said the action will affect only around 1 per cent of flights.
The RMT is also still in a dispute over changes to the role of its members who are conductors on Southern, although they are expected to hold peace talks over that dispute early next week.