1. By entering this competition you agree to these rules and acknowledge that failure to comply with them may result in disqualification. These terms and conditions shall also include the instructions of how to take part in the Christmas Quiz, the “competition details” section and the “all you have to do” section.
2. To enter the competition, simply send your answers in a letter, e-mail or fax to: Christmas Quiz, The Financial Times Limited, Number One Southwark Bridge, London SE1 9HL or e-mail email@example.com or fax to +44 (0)207-873-3929 between 09.00 on Friday, December 24 2004 and Friday, January 19 2005. All entries must be received by Friday January 19 2005. In addition to answering the questions, all entries must include an answer to a tie-breaker question published at the time of the competition.
3. This competition is only available to Participants over 21 years of age, excluding directors and employees of The Financial Times Limited (“FT”) and Orient-Express Hotels (“Promoter”) their associated companies, agencies and immediate family. THIS COMPETITION IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
4. Only one entry per person shall be permitted. Multiple or incomplete entries will be deemed to be invalid. The competition will be run in all editions of the Financial Times Newspaper and on FT.com on Friday, 24 December 2004. The Christmas quiz shall remain online on the FT.com website until the closing date of Friday January 19 2005.
5. The winner of the first prize will be the Participant to answer the highest number of questions correctly. In the absence of a complete set of correct answers or in a tie-break situation, the prize may be awarded to the entry that contains the most ingenious answer to the tie-breaker question. The five winners of the runner-up prize will be the Participants who obtain the highest scores after the winner (subject to the same discretionary principles mentioned above). The editor’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
6. The winner will be selected on Friday January 21 2005 and FT will notify all winners by the end of business on Friday January 28 2005. All winners will be required to confirm the acceptance of their prizes by Friday February 4 2005. If the prize is declined, or unclaimed by the prize winners by the acceptance date or if the prize winners cannot be contacted from the details supplied, a supplementary winner may be selected by the judge. The possible selection of a supplementary winner shall be at the discretion of FT and the supplementary winner will be notified by e-mail or phone. If a supplementary winner is selected, the original entry drawn will be forfeited. All winners may be required to complete and return an affidavit or form to confirm their eligibility (e.g. proof of age and/or identity).
7. The Prize will consist of three nights for two people sharing as well as complimentary bed and breakfast and one dinner for two at a choice of four Orient Express Hotels: (a) La Residence d’Angkor, Siem Reap, Cambodia; (b) Hotel Splendido, Portofino, Italy; (c) Copacabana Palace, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; (d) Mount Nelson Hotel, Cape Town, South Africa. The first prize is subject to availability and is valid for one year from the date of the publication of the name of the winner in accordance with clause 6 above. The accommodation as well as the meal element of the Prize must be booked by the winner at the same time and must be taken by the winner at the same choice of hotel during his/her stay. No cash equivalent is available and the Prize is non-transferable. FT and the Promoter reserve the right to cancel or amend the terms of this competition as may required by any circumstance or to substitute the Prize being offered with a different Prize of equal or greater value. Travel and insurance is not included in the Prize.
8. The five runners-up prizes shall consist of a one year complimentary level two subscription to the FT.com website. Details of the subscription to the FT.com website will be sent to the runner up prize winners via post and/or e-mail. FT will provide the runner up prize for this competition and the FT will be responsible at its own cost for the fulfilment of the runner up prize and shall arrange, provide, administer and solely be responsible for and meet the total cost of the runner-up prize.
9. It is the winner’s responsibility and obligation to comply with all applicable laws and regulations (whether local or international).
10. The Promoter and the FT and its agents and subcontractors do not accept responsibility for entries lost or delayed in submission, or for any technical failure or for any event, which may cause the Prize draw to be disrupted or corrupted. Proof of submission is not proof of receipt.
11. It is important that in the event of a query, dispute, or disagreement regarding the first Prize offered, the matter is settled directly with the Promoter.
12. To the fullest extent that may be excluded by law FT accepts no responsibility for or liability arising from Participants taking part in the competition or the Prize and all activities are undertaken at the Participant’s own risk. FT gives no warranty or guarantee in relation to the Prize.
13. This competition shall be governed by English Law and jurisdiction.
14. The Promoter: Orient-Express Hotels UK Ltd, Sea Containers House, 20 Upper Ground, London SE1 9PF