US announces new sanctions following Iran missile launch

Listen to this article

00:00
00:00

The US Treasury Department said on Friday it was launching a new round of sanctions against Iran entities and individuals with connections to that country’s ballistic missile progamme as well as Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

It comes after the Trump administration’s declarations earlier this week that Iran was being put “on notice” after a weekend missile launch by the Islamic republic.

The announcement Friday targets 25 individuals and entities that have been involved in “destablising activity”, and specifically producing technology or materials to support Iran’s missile programme, as well as acting on behalf of, or providing support for, the Qods unit of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corp, according to a statement from the US Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Controls.

“Iran’s continued support for terrorism and development of its ballistic missile programme poses a threat to the region, to our partners worldwide, and to the United States,” said OFAC acting director John Smith. “We will continue to actively apply all available tools , including financial sanctions, to address this behaviour.”

In addition to critical comments from President Donald Trump regarding Iran on Thursday, the new president’s national security advisor, Michael Flynn, said a day earlier that:

“Recent Iranian actions, including a provocative ballistic missile launch and an attack against a Saudi naval vessel conducted by Iran-supported Houthi militants [from Yemen], underscore what should have been clear to the international community all along about Iran’s destabilising behaviour across the Middle East.”

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2017. All rights reserved. You may share using our article tools. Please don't copy articles from FT.com and redistribute by email or post to the web.