Experimental feature

Listen to this article

Experimental feature

Are you a member of a union or professional body? You may be eligible to claim tax relief on your subscription.

Accountants, doctors, and more unusual professions, such as sommeliers or even yoga teachers, take note. If you are a member of one of hundreds of HMRC-approved unions and professional bodies that officially require membership for you to do your job, or is considered helpful for your work, then you qualify for relief on your annual subscription fees.

Qualifying bodies range from the Accounting Association to the Yoga Teachers Association, not forgetting the Golf Greenkeepers Association and the Shire Horse Society. The reliefs available to members vary, but payments made to some bodies are fully tax deductible. And, yes, you can reclaim tax on subs you paid earlier, normally as far back as four tax years.

How do you keep a grip on your bills? From free coffee to the finance apps, we want to hear your top money saving tips. You can tweet us @FTthrift or comment on the FTthrift blog: FT.com/thrift

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2017. All rights reserved.

Follow the topics mentioned in this article

Follow the authors of this article