Great Britain has achieved its best performance at the Olympics in over a century, its athletes returning home with 27 gold medals and 67 overall.
The UK also ends the Rio games second in the overall medal table, one gold medal ahead of China, which took 70 medals overall. The USA topped the medal table with 46 golds.
At lunchtime the Hang Seng was down 0.5 per cent, the Nikkei was up 0.2 per cent and the ASX 200 was up 0.1 per cent. The Shanghai Composite was down 0.6 per cent and the Shenzhen Composite was down 0.7 per cent.
IG is calling European bourses to open as follows:
- The FTSE is set to open 2 points lower at 6857
- The DAX is set to open 1 point higher at 10545
- The CAC is set to open 1 point lower at 4399
There are no major earnings or top-tier economic releases on Monday. Here is the full rundown (all times GMT):
- 07:00 Netherlands house price data
- 08:00 Switzerland money supply
- 11:00 Ireland PPI
Get alerts on Front page when a new story is published