London Underground passengers face the threat of industrial action over three separate disputes, the Rail Maritime and Transport union warned on Tuesday, writes Andrew Taylor.
The union plans to ballot 6,500 workers for on strikes unless London Underground “tables an acceptable pay offer” by August 23. LU has offered workers a four-year deal that includes a 4 per cent rise this year. The union, however, said the offer was worth less than increases that had been offered to workers at private sector infrastructure companies working for LU. RMT members would also prefer a one-year deal.
The union plans to ballot members involved in two other disputes with LU. The first is over the sacking of a driver for passing a signal and the second is over the alleged harassment and victimisation of staff and union representatives at Canary Wharf station.
LU said on Tuesday it was still waiting for a response from unions on its improved pay offer. On the sacking of the driver, it said it could not tolerate breaches of safety rules. LU said it had a strong policy against harassment and had investigated RMT’s claims at Canary Wharf and had concluded they “were not founded”.