McDonald’s on Thursday found itself the centre of a public relations nightmare after its Twitter account attacked President Trump, calling him a “disgusting excuse of a President” along with comments on his hand size.
The tweet, which was briefly pinned to the top of fast food group’s corporate account @McDonaldsCorp before being deleted, mocked Mr Trump and called for the return of former President Obama.
“@realDonaldTrump You are actually a disgusting excuse of a President and we would love to have @BarackObama back, also you have tiny hands,” according to a screenshot of the tweet.
McDonald’s said in an update on Thursday that its account had been “compromised” and that it was investigating the hack.
“Twitter notified us that our account was compromised. We deleted the tweet, secured our account and are now investigating this,” it said.
Shares in McDonald’s were trading 0.3 per cent higher at $128.30 on Thursday.