I had a bad cold last week and, to loosen its grip, I boiled water from the tap and sat, granny-fashion, with a towel over my head in the steam.
Now I learn (“Testing the water”, The Big Read, April 1) that I may well have ingested asbestos fibres, as “about one-fifth of the people of England and Wales drink water that has flowed through asbestos cement pipes”.
I used to live near Cranleigh, Surrey, whose residents are now campaigning to get their pipes removed. How do I know whether the small Suffolk town, where I now live, is threatened? And what do I do? Use bottled water and risk poisoning the environment?
How dare the privatised water services (and the government) be as complacent as your article suggests. They should, at least, plan to remove them.
Eye, Suffolk, UK
Get alerts on Letter when a new story is published