Listen to this article
“Well if China is not going to solve North Korea, we will. That is all I am telling you.”
Fun words for everyone in Asia to wake up to from the president of the United States.
In an exclusive interview with the Financial Times, Donald Trump has warned the US will take unilateral action to eliminate the nuclear threat from North Korea unless China increases pressure on the regime in Pyongyang.
Markets in China and Taiwan are closed today for the Tomb-Sweeping Day, but Hong Kong’s bourse won’t have time off for the holiday until Tuesday.
In Asia Pacific equities, futures tip the S&P/ASX 200 to open up 0.1 per cent, while Tokyo’s Topix is set to open up 0.4 per cent and in Hong Kong the Hang Seng index is set to open up 0.2 per cent when trading starts.
Corporate earnings reports out today include Kewpie, Create SD and Shimamura.
The economic calendar for Monday is fortified with all the vitamins growing kids need (all times Hong Kong):
- 07.50: Japan Tankan manufacturing index
- 08.30: Nikkei manufacturing PMIs for Japan, South Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam and the Philippines
- 09.30: Australia building approvals
- 11.30: Thailand consumer price inflation
- 13.00: Nikkei India manufacturing PMI
- Indonesia consumer price inflation data is also due out today.
Get alerts on Asia when a new story is published