Listen to this article
FT Seasonal Appeal 2018
A safe and decent home is one of the most basic requirements of human existence. Yet around the world, 1.6 billion people are living without adequate shelter. It affects every aspect of their lives: health, privacy, education and ability to work. Housing and homelessness are problems that cross international borders, from Cambodia to the United States, and they are issues whose time has come. This year the FT’s Seasonal Appeal partner, chosen by FT staff, is the international housing charity Habitat for Humanity.
Working in more than 70 countries, Habitat is the only global charity dedicated entirely to housing and the issues related to it. Since it was founded in 1976, Habitat has built more than a million homes. Last year alone, it helped more than 450,000 people through home construction and repairs, many with the help of its global volunteer programmes. Habitat also helps homeowners through its innovative financing schemes.
For this year’s Seasonal Appeal, FT writers have visited Habitat projects across the world to see its work, beginning with Chloe Cornish’s powerful report from the Shatila refugee camp in Beirut. Their stories, told through words and photography, data journalism and video, are an inspiring testament to the resilience of people in crisis — and to the vital importance of having somewhere to call home.
Stories coming up over the next three weeks include:
- United States: “Having a house was my dream” Joshua Chaffin meets families in Tucson, Arizona, now moving into their first homes
- Kenya: Empowering women Tom Wilson reports on a unique microfinancing project
- What “home” means to me Martin Wolf and other FT writers share their personal stories
- Homeless, Tunbridge Wells Even in the affluent south of England, young people are living on the streets. Sarah O’Connor visits Habitat’s scheme to give them a home
- Cambodia: How to build a house in five days FT reporter Yuan Yang picks up a hammer and joins Habitat’s volunteers
- “Home” A portrait in music and pictures by artist Kerry Andrew, produced by the FT’s award-winning video team
Everyone has the right to a decent home. Please join us in supporting this year’s Seasonal Appeal partner, Habitat for Humanity.
• Your gift will be doubled
If you donate to Habitat for Humanity through the FT’s Seasonal Appeal, the Hilti Foundation, a charitable organisation, has generously agreed to match your gift. Click here to donate now
Read more about our Seasonal Appeal partner Habitat for Humanity: ft.com/habitat-facts
Get alerts on FT Seasonal Appeal when a new story is published