• BNY Mellon has named Mitchell Harris as chief executive of its $1.7tn investment management business. Mr Harris, currently president of BNY Mellon Investment Management, succeeds Curtis Arledge, who has left to pursue other opportunities.
• Julie Riewe, a former senior US financial regulator, is to join Debevoise & Plimpton, the law firm, as a partner in March. Ms Riewe was previously co-chief of the asset management unit at the Securities and Exchange Commission’s enforcement division. During her time at the US regulator she took action against a large number of investment managers for misconduct, including BlackRock, Blackstone and JPMorgan.
• Jamil Baz will rejoin Pimco as head of client analytics. Mr Baz will return to the Newport Beach-based investment manager in May from Man Group, the London-based hedge fund, where he was chief investment strategist for Man GLG Partners.
• Franklin Templeton, the US-listed asset manager best known for actively managing emerging market-focused funds, has hired two exchange traded fund specialists from BlackRock, the world’s largest investment company.
David Mann has joined Franklin as head of global ETFs capital markets and Dina Ting has joined as senior portfolio manager for global ETFs.
The hires demonstrate a growing desire among active fund houses to push into the rapidly expanding passive investment industry. Franklin said it is looking to hire additional ETF specialists in the coming months.
Royal London Asset Management has hired Richard Marwood as a senior fund manager. Mr Marwood joins the £84.5bn investment arm of Royal London, the insurer, from Axa Investment Management.
• Janus Capital, the US fund house that hired famed bond investor Bill Gross in 2014, has appointed Chris Justice as head of its European business. Based in London, Mr Justice, who was previously head of strategic initiatives for Janus in Hong Kong, will aim to increase the group’s market share in Europe, which represents a fifth of Janus’s $192.3bn of assets.
WisdomTree, the $43bn Nasdaq-listed ETF provider, has started operations in Japan. Junichi Kamitsubo, previously head of iShares Japan at BlackRock, has joined as head of sales following the appointment of Jesper Koll as chief executive of WisdomTree Japan in July. Mr Koll previously worked for JPMorgan.
• Intermediate Capital Group, the €21bn London-listed asset manager, has hired Denis Rayel as an investment director in its Australian senior loans team. Mr Rayel previously worked in Australia for GE Capital, the financial services arm of General Electric.
Get alerts on Fund management when a new story is published