Listen to this article
With Trump’s attorney general having recused himself from investigations amid controversy over his failure to disclose meetings with the Russian ambassador, the question arises: did anyone not meet with Sergey Kislyak?
Yes, Jeff Sessions has stepped away from all investigations involving the recent US presidential campaign. The meetings occurred as the Kremlin was mounting an aggressive effort to interfere with the US election in an effort to improve Mr Trump’s chances of winning, US intelligence agencies concluded this year.
In other news, Snapchat owner Snap closed its first day of trading on Wall Street up 44 per cent for a valuation of $28.3bn, in contrast with the S&P 500 index, which dropped 0.6 per cent.
In Asia Pacific equities, Sydney’s A&P/ASX 200 index opened down 0.2 per cent, while in Tokyo the Topix index is set to open down 0.2 per cent, and Hong Kong’s Hang Seng index is expected to start the trading day up 0.1 per cent.
Earnings reports out today include Texhong Textile and Hi-Lex Corp.
The economic calendar for Friday isn’t about to let you off that easy (all times Hong Kong):
- 07.00: South Korea consumer price inflation
- 07.30: Japan consumer price inflation, unemployment and household spending
- 08.30: Japan Nikkei services and composite PMIs
- 08.30: Hong Kong Nikkei PMI
- 09.45: China Caixin services and composite PMIs
- 12.00: Malaysia imports, exports and trade balance
- 13.00: India Nikkei manufacturing and services PMIs
- 15.30: Thailand foreign exchange reserves
Get alerts on Asia when a new story is published