MP for Wokingham and arch-Thatcherite. Welsh secretary under John Major. Backbench authority on the economy
● Create three new UK retail banks out of the UK assets of RBS and sell them into the private sector, raising substantial new capital for them at the same time.
● Freeze recruitment across the public sector, save for frontline posts such as teachers and nurses. We need to get spending under control.
● Seek authority and power back for the UK when the EU wishes to centralise more to save the euro.
● Press ahead with a bold programme of repeal and amendment to cut the cost, ineffectiveness and intrusiveness of regulation.
● Cut selective taxes on enterprise at all levels of income to foster growth and to make working more worthwhile.