Emmanuel Macron’s presidential campaign said it had been “the victim of a massive and coordinated hack”, Reuters reported on Friday evening, after a large trove of emails was posted online, little more than a day before French voters go to the polls.
Some nine gigabytes of data were posted by a user called EMLEAKS to Pastebin, a document-sharing site that allows anonymous posting. It was not immediately clear who was responsible for posting the data or whether the emails were genuine.
An interior ministry official declined to comment, citing French rules which forbid any commentary liable to influence an election, and which took effect at midnight French time on Friday.
In a statement, Mr Macron’s political movement En Marche! (Onwards!) confirmed that it had been hacked. “The En Marche! Movement has been the victim of a massive and co-ordinated hack this evening which has given rise to the diffusion on social media of various internal information,” the statement said.
Comments about the email dump began to appear on Friday evening just hours before the official ban on campaigning began. The ban is due to stay in place until the last polling stations close on Sunday at 8pm.