Listen to this article
What is your theme song? How would you describe the colour pink to someone who is visually impaired? These are just some of the tricky job interview questions encountered by MBA graduates.
In an alternative MBA survey conducted by FT Business Education, we asked MBA alumni from the top 100 schools in the FT 2014 Global MBA rankings: “What has been the most difficult question that you have been asked in a job interview since graduation?”
If you have interviews lined up, be prepared for thought-provoking and even bizarre questions as shown in these examples from the poll.
● Canada’s 150 birthday is coming up in 2016. What should the federal government do to mark the occasion?
● Two, six, 42, 1806 . . . what number comes next?
● A room with a light in the centre. There are 3 switches and only one controls the light. How do you know for sure which switch controls the light if you can only enter the room once?
● Do you believe in Santa Claus?
● Estimate the cost of the ceiling tile above your head including the electricity and plumbing.
● Evaluate yourself on key Bible sins.
● Explain your last job profile to a 10-year-old.
● How can you think that a company will pay you $100,000 a year after your MBA?
● How do you extract greater value for your product from your value chain without hurting the business relationships with your distributors and other value chain players?
● How many golf balls fit inside a 747 jet?
● How many hours would a dog take to walk from Madrid to Barcelona with a can on its tail?
● How would you like to be remembered when you die?
● If you had to choose between fighting either a lion or a shark in its natural habitat, which would you chose?
● If you were a shape, what shape would you be?
● If you were an animal, what kind of animal would you be?
● If your life would be made into a movie, what would the title be?
● In what circumstances would you allow a lie?
● Please prove to me that you are not arrogant.
● So you want to work in finance – tell me how would you value a dinosaur?
● Teach me something about my company that I don’t know.
● Tell me about a time you had to ask “why?” five times.
● What do your friends believe is true about you that is actually a lie and why?
● What is the chance that two people in the city of New York have the same number of hairs on their heads?
● What is the weight in tons of Manhattan?
● What would you do if a lion entered the room at this moment?
Share and tweet your tough or weird and wonderful interview questions at @ftbized #MyMBAcareer.
Get alerts on Work & Careers when a new story is published