Listen to this article
The White House National Security Advisor said on Wednesday that he was “officially putting Iran on notice” following an Iranian missile launch.
Citing, “recent Iranian actions, including a provocative ballistic missile launch and an attack against a Saudi naval vessel conducted by Iran-supported Houthi militants”, Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn criticised Iran’s “destabilising behaviour” across the Middle East.
The recent ballistic missile launch is also in defiance of UN Security Council Resolution 2231, which calls upon Iran “not to undertake any activity related to ballistic missiles designed to be capable of delivering nuclear weapons, including launches using such ballistic missile technology
Earlier on Wednesday, Iran’s defence minister confirmed the ballistic missile test and insisted it neither violated the nuclear agreement nor the UN resolution. Hossein Dehghan told local reporters that “the latest test has been in line with our plans and we will not allow any aliens to interfere in our defence affairs” and that the Islamic Republic would continue its military policies.
President Donald Trump has previously said the accord signed in 2015 to curb Iran’s nuclear ambitions is the “worst deal ever negotiated”. He has repeatedly pledged to take a tough stance on Tehran and has previously signalled that he would renegotiate the deal.
Get alerts on Iran when a new story is published