Listen to this article
As the Dutch go to the polls in what is expected to be a very close race, investors will be watching later in the day for the US Federal Reserve’s interest rate decision.
Asian markets were broadly lower on Wednesday with Hong Kong’s benchmark Hang Seng index down 0.1 per cent, while the Shanghai Composite index was down by the same amount. Japan’s Topix index slipped 0.2 per cent while Sydney’s S&P 200 closed up 0.3 per cent.
Futures tip the FTSE 100 to open up 0.3 per cent in London, while the S&P 500 is expected to rise 0.2 percent at the open in New York.
The corporate calendar for Wednesday brings us E.On, Hikma Pharmaceuticals, Polymetal International and Robert Walters.
The economic calendar is as follows (all times London):
- 07.45: France final inflation reading
- 08.30: Riksbank’s Stefan Ingves to speak in Frankfurt
- 09.00: Italy retail sales
- 09.30: UK unemployment
- 09.30: ECB’s Peter Praet to speak in Frankfurt
- 10.00: Eurozone unemployment
- 10.00: Italy final inflation reading
- 11.:00: Ireland inflation
- 12.00: UK prime minister’s questions
Get alerts on Markets when a new story is published