Listen to this article
Milk chocolate molten cakes with a tahini centre
A little pot of pure pleasure here, equally gratifying as an Easter treat for those who observe Lent and those who don’t. If you are inexplicably bored of the traditional chocolate fondant cake, the addition of creamy sesame paste will give this familiar dessert a new lease of life, just in time for spring.
You can easily make these well ahead and keep in the fridge. Simply bake before serving until just set, so that the centre is all gooey. Makes 4 small pots.
|20g||butter (plus some more for buttering the moulds)|
|50g||dark chocolate (set aside 4 squares for the centres of each pot)|
|20g||strong flour (plus some more for dusting the moulds)|
|Pinch of sea salt|
|Sprinkling of sesame seeds (optional)|
- Butter 4 small pots generously with soft butter, and dust with some flour. Shake out any excess and set aside until the chocolate mix is ready.
- In a small pan heat the first amount of cream (100g) with the butter and the 2 types of chocolate (apart from the 4 squares you set aside — 20g) over a medium-low heat. Stir all the time until the chocolate is melted, then remove from the heat.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs till they become a little fluffy: this is easily done by hand — no need for an electric beater. As soon as the mix is homogenous and goes a little pale, fold it into the chocolate. Mix till combined, then add the flour and salt and mix again. Pour into the moulds about ¾ of the way up.
- Mix the tahini with the second amount of cream and the sugar into a thick paste. Take a square of chocolate, heap a teaspoon of the tahini cream on top and drop into a mould; do the same for the others. If the chocolate doesn’t sink a little, push it in slightly so it is submerged. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds (if using) and set in the fridge. These can be made up to 48 hours in advance and kept in the fridge till you are ready to bake and serve. But you want to serve them warm.
- Set your oven to 170C with a fan assist or 190C for a conventional oven. Bake for 10-11 minutes from the fridge and serve immediately. Put a little cream on the side if you are feeling indulgent or eat just as they are if you are a purist.