MI5 downgrades terror threat to UK businesses

The security service, MI5, has advised British businesses that the threat from international terrorism in the UK is lower than at any time since the September 11 terror attacks on the US.

In an advisory note to leading businesses in recent days, the terrorist threat has been downgraded from its second highest level “severe general” to a lower category of “substantial”.

Under a system agreed by the security service two years ago, businesses receive written risk assessments and regular briefings on terrorist threats. These are not made public.

Government policy is to share intelligence more broadly only if it receives reliable information of an imminent attack. “The threat from international terrorism to the UK remains real and serious,” the Home Office said on Tuesday night.

Ministers have generally preferred not to follow the US, where the government has issued public terrorism alerts. The latest advice to businesses is based on data gathered by a secretive government intelligence committee, the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre, based in central London.

However, UK security experts insist more detailed intelligence messages still coming through leave no room for complacency.

Paul Eskrit, a security adviser to the Corporation of London, said alert levels remained high in the City and around certain government buildings up until the general election amid fears the event might spark of a major terrorist attack as occurred in March last year in Spain.

“The downgrading does not offer a great deal of comfort … I for one am not going to advise that we relax our security systems,” he said.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2016. All rights reserved. You may share using our article tools. Please don't cut articles from FT.com and redistribute by email or post to the web.

More on this topic

Suggestions below based on UK

Berlin proposes tougher terrorism laws

Germany is proposing 10-year prison sentences for terror suspects found guilty of visiting Islamist training camps as part of a package of tougher security laws.

Bin Laden says US is vulnerable

A videotape addressed to the American people apparently recorded in recent months by Osama bin Laden on Friday appeared on the internet, criticising Democrats for not stopping the war in Iraq, attacking the White House for not observing the Kyoto accord and suggesting the US could soon suffer the fate of the Soviet Union.

‘Massive’ bomb plot thwarted in Germany

German security forces have prevented a series of “massive bomb attacks” that could have been more deadly than the Madrid and London bombings, top German officials said on Wednesday.