© The Financial Times Ltd 2015 FT and 'Financial Times' are trademarks of The Financial Times Ltd.
September 30, 2011 11:45 pm
MP for Wokingham and arch-Thatcherite. Welsh secretary under John Major. Backbench authority on the economy
● Create three new UK retail banks out of the UK assets of RBS and sell them into the private sector, raising substantial new capital for them at the same time.
● Freeze recruitment across the public sector, save for frontline posts such as teachers and nurses. We need to get spending under control.
● Seek authority and power back for the UK when the EU wishes to centralise more to save the euro.
● Press ahead with a bold programme of repeal and amendment to cut the cost, ineffectiveness and intrusiveness of regulation.
● Cut selective taxes on enterprise at all levels of income to foster growth and to make working more worthwhile.
Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2015. You may share using our article tools.
Please don't cut articles from FT.com and redistribute by email or post to the web.