© The Financial Times Ltd 2015 FT and 'Financial Times' are trademarks of The Financial Times Ltd.
September 30, 2011 11:43 pm
MP for Haltemprice and Howden. Defeated by David Cameron in the 2005 leadership contest, now one of the most influential rightwingers outside cabinet. Will be making a noise at conference as co-editor of a new book, The Future of Conservatism
● Growth strategy: We need an aggressive deregulatory and low-tax strategy if the economy is going to attract talent, encourage effort and innovation and recover historic levels of growth.
● Europe: We need to establish a completely new relationship with the European Union and other European institutions. This may require a referendum to reinforce our negotiating position.
● Law and order: There is no alternative to firm sentences for serious crimes, and this means we have to make prison work. This is no proven non-custodial alternative.
● Education: In order to bring higher educational standards to poorer parts of the country we will need to turbo-charge our free schools policy. This will mean allowing the private sector to act directly in schooling and possibly allow more selection.
● Environment: We must fine tune our green strategy to ensure it does actually lead to greater efficiency and carbon reduction and not simply drive heavy industry abroad – and in a way which does not visit enormous cost on ordinary citizens who cannot afford it.
Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2015. You may share using our article tools.
Please don't cut articles from FT.com and redistribute by email or post to the web.