January 3, 2013 2:33 am

Clinton released from New York hospital

  • Share
  • Print
  • Clip
  • Gift Article
  • Comments
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton leaves New York Presbyterian Hospital with husband, Bill, and daughter, Chelsea, in New York©Reuters

Hillary Clinton leaves New York-Presbyterian Hospital with husband Bill, and daughter Chelsea

Hillary Clinton, the US secretary of state, was released from hospital in New York on Wednesday, four days after doctors discovered a bloodclot in her head linked to a concussion she sustained last month.

Mrs Clinton was “making good progress on all fronts, and [her doctors] are confident she will make a full recovery,” said Philippe Reines, an aide to Mrs Clinton.

“She’s eager to get back to the office, and we will keep you updated on her schedule as it becomes clearer in the coming days,” he said.

Photos showed Mrs Clinton, in dark glasses, smiling as she was driven away from New York-Presbyterian Hospital on Wednesday evening.

Chelsea Clinton, the secretary’s daughter, wrote on Twitter: “Grateful my Mom discharged from the hospital & is heading home. Even more grateful her medical team confident she’ll make a full recovery.”

Earlier on Wednesday, the state department said Mrs Clinton had been talking to staff in Washington by phone and doing paperwork while in the hospital.

“She’s been quite active on the phone with all of us,” said Victoria Nuland, the state department spokeswoman.

Mrs Clinton was admitted on Sunday when doctors discovered the bloodclot in her head during a check-up following the concussion, which she suffered after becoming dehydrated from a stomach virus and fainting at home.

The clot was found in the vein between the brain and the skull behind her right ear, her doctors said, and it did not result in a stroke or neurological damage. Mrs Clinton had been treated with blood thinners and was said to be in good spirits during her stay.

Still, the complications will spark questions about the state of her health amid continuing speculation that the 65-year-old Democrat will run for president in 2016, when President Barack Obama’s second term ends.

Mrs Clinton had not been seen in public since cancelling a trip to the Middle East planned for the week of December 10. The state department had said she had contracted a stomach virus after an intense trip to Europe at the beginning of the month.

Mrs Clinton missed her scheduled appearance before Congress to testify about the September 11 attack on the US consulate in Benghazi that killed Chris Stevens, the American ambassador to Libya.

Some Republicans had accused her of exaggerating or even faking her illness to avoid testifying before the congressional committee.

The state department vehemently denied the allegations.  

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2015. You may share using our article tools.
Please don't cut articles from FT.com and redistribute by email or post to the web.

  • Share
  • Print
  • Clip
  • Gift Article
  • Comments

NEWS BY EMAIL

Sign up for email briefings to stay up to date on topics you are interested in

SHARE THIS QUOTE